The importance of reflection and the value of a Lessons Learned review should not be underestimated. After all, you can’t succeed without learning from your mistakes.
Here are some tops tips for a Lessons Learned process:
- An open and honest culture is imperative to create the best conditions and set the right tone.
- A skilled and impartial facilitator should lead the review to avoid any feelings of bias.
- The process must bring value to future work. If you can’t tick this box, don’t waste valuable time.
- Ensure feedback is collected from all relevant parties, e.g. designers, engineers, users.
- Survey & interview design is key to gathering the most pertinent feedback.
- To ensure the input is fresh, schedule the review in a timely manner.
- Accountability is required to ensure expected behaviours are upheld to achieve the review goals.
- Validate next steps and establish timelines & owners for actions before closing the review.
- Summarise & publish the findings companywide to demonstrate value in the process.
- Execute the plan to deliver tangible results from the review.